[CentOS] Network Scanner and CentOS 5.5

Mon Jan 17 01:16:47 UTC 2011
David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net>

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 15:19 -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
> > I've been to the sane site and looked at the backends. The HP 3210 is
> > supported by hpio and there is a note that hpio is no longer needed
> > because the functionality has been rolled int hplip. yum shows hplip is
> > installed:
> > hplip.x86_64     1.6.7-4.1.el5.4     installed
>
> > iptables allows all outbound and established.
> >
> > Anyone successfully scanning from an HP Photosmart network printer?
>
> RHEL/CentOS have very old packages for HP printer/scanner support,
> although there will be a vastly updated version available in 5.6.  I just
> got a new All-in-One e709a to work across the network with the packages
> from rpmforge.
>
> You can use rpmforge through yum, or download the packages directly at
> <http://packages.sw.be/hplip/>
>
> Once installed, run (as root) hp-setup
>
> Barry

I have had rpmforge installed for some time.  'yum list hplip' gives me
an old 1.x version that is installed. I obtained hplip-3.10.9 from
sourceforge hplip project. When I run it here is the output:

DISTRO/OS CONFIRMATION
----------------------
Distro appears to be CentOS 5.5.

Is "CentOS 5.5" your correct distro/OS and version (y=yes*, n=no,
q=quit) ? y

SELECT HPLIP OPTIONS
--------------------
You can select which HPLIP options to enable. Some options require extra
dependencies.

Do you wish to enable 'Network/JetDirect I/O' (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
Do you wish to enable 'Graphical User Interfaces (Qt4)' (y=yes*, n=no,
q=quit) ? y
Do you wish to enable 'PC Send Fax support' (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
Do you wish to enable 'Scanning support' (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
Do you wish to enable 'HPLIP documentation (HTML)' (y=yes*, n=no,
q=quit) ? y

ENTER ROOT/SUPERUSER PASSWORD
-----------------------------
Please enter the root/superuser password:
Password accepted

RUNNING PRE-INSTALL COMMANDS
----------------------------
OK

INSTALL MISSING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
warning: There are 8 missing OPTIONAL dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet
connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'network':
libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development
files)
warning: This installer cannot install 'libnetsnmp-devel' for your
distro/OS and/or version.
warning: Option 'network' has been turned off.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'gui_qt4': pyqt4-dbus
(PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4)
warning: This installer cannot install 'pyqt4-dbus' for your distro/OS
and/or version.
warning: Option 'gui_qt4' has been turned off.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'gui_qt4': pyqt4 (PyQt
4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x))
warning: This installer cannot install 'pyqt4' for your distro/OS and/or
version.
warning: Option 'gui_qt4' has been turned off.
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'gui_qt4': policykit
(PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework)
warning: This installer cannot install 'policykit' for your distro/OS
and/or version.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'fax': python-dbus
(Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus)
warning: This installer cannot install 'python-dbus' for your distro/OS
and/or version.
warning: Option 'fax' has been turned off.
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'fax': reportlab
(Reportlab - PDF library for Python)
warning: This installer cannot install 'reportlab' for your distro/OS
and/or version.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'scan': sane-devel (SANE
- Scanning library development files)
warning: This installer cannot install 'sane-devel' for your distro/OS
and/or version.
warning: Option 'scan' has been turned off.
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'scan': pil (PIL -
Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan))
warning: This installer cannot install 'pil' for your distro/OS and/or
version.
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'base': cups-ddk (CUPS
DDK - CUPS driver development kit)
warning: This installer cannot install 'cups-ddk' for your distro/OS
and/or version.

READY TO BUILD AND INSTALL
Ready to perform build and install. Press <enter> to continue or 'q' to
quit:

using yum to find these dependency turns up a lot of package not found
messages.

Dave M