[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Mon Jan 17 16:45:11 UTC 2011
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 1/16/2011 3:45 PM, Parshwa Murdia wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com
> <mailto:lesmikesell at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If you still want CentOS and aren't in a big hurry, you might wait
>     for the
>     CentOS6 release which should be coming soon.  CentOS 5.x has
>     packages from
>     around the Fedora 6 era.  CentOS 6 should jump that up to be
>     similar to Fedora 14.
>

> Nice, Cent OS 6 would be releasing by the Jan end or Feb, I think....?
> Another important thing I have is that like you are suggesting for
> Fedora or Ubuntu but that the newest cutting edge technology could be
> installed in the older hardware assuming that the hardware has minimal
> composition, like, only 2 gb ram, hard disk and speaker, with keyboard
> and a non-usb mouse. In this hardware too we can install any cutting
> edge OS like fedora or it really depends on the hardware that if it
> would accept a particular distro or not!

Not by the end of January.  Probably not by the end of February.  CentOS
is a volunteer project, so CentOS 6 will be ready when it's ready.  If
you want to wait for CentOS 6, then keep an eye on either this list or
the centos.org website.  It will be announced as soon as it is available.

--
Bowie