[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Wed Jan 19 18:21:49 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:55:19 pm Les Mikesell wrote:
> And remember that firefox/openoffice are rare exceptions in RHEL/Centos
> in that they have had major-version updates since the distro release,
> even though they still are far behind 'current' now.

How is Firefox 3.6.13 not current (that's what's on my CentOS 5 boxen, straight from the updates)?  OOo isn't too terribly old, at 3.1.1 instead of the 3.3 on my F14 box.

Yes, these are pretty rare exceptions, but even the other packages will get backports of security fixes where that is possible.  FF and OOo are two of the most visible cases where it just wasn't possible.