[CentOS] How to disable screen locking system-wide?

Thu Jan 20 12:02:51 UTC 2011
Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

> It probably depends on his environment. If it's an office where people
> actually work for money and need to address client issues then I'm
> sure your colleagues won't be please if you make them loose all their
> work just to be an arrogant IT manager who wants to prove a point.
>
> I don't know about you, but a user leaving his desk (for any purpose,
> other than going home) doesn't cause a security risk. I trust all our
> staff, and when Andrew goes on lunch I expect him to leave his PC
> unlocked.
>
> 1. It's our property and he should have any personal stuff on there,
> as per our NDA, that could cause problem.
>
> 2. If a client, which Andrew was busy with phones in, I or one of the
> other staff members would need access to that work.
>
> So, in such a  case I do think the OP has a valid question and it
> could be addressed more professionally than to restart X, or even the
> PC just to prove a point.
>
> P.S. And I don't know the answer either.....

In our environment, leaving your desk without locking your
computer/screen is punished with a disciplinary hearing and three such
hearings result in dismissal. Having one person using another's
account is considered a security risk.

I don't know the exact path but you can use gconftool-2 (or
gconf-editor as a GUI) to set the screensaver not to lock (and mimick
doing so by changing the screensaver preferences in
"System-Preferences-Screensaver").