[CentOS] How to disable screen locking system-wide?

Thu Jan 20 16:44:21 UTC 2011
Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

> Sometimes you need to access a PC of a staff member who is busy with
> something right now. And I'm not talking about administrative access.
> Sure, I can access any PC via root login, and frankly for that matter
> I can also reset any user's password via root login.
>
> The message I'm trying to bring across is that users in the company
> shouldn't have passwords which admin doesn't know, or can't access.
> The PC's and data, well at least in our company, is the property of
> the company. Making it more difficult for an engineer to gain access
> to a user's PC automatically arises suspicion

You clearly work in an insecure environment.

No one should have access to anyone else's login. I have no admin
privileges over my desktop. If I need something installed or
uninstalled, I have to ask the Windows desktop support team who'll
access my box remotely after I accept their request to a access my box
in a popup on my screen. Of course, the Windows server support team
can access my roaming profile on their boxes but (I presume since this
is what we do and I don't know any of them to ask them) they'd have to
justify that acess.

There's absolutely no reason to "access a PC of a staff member who is
busy", that's terrible practice; and there's absolutely no way that
anyone should know anyone else's password (a punishable violation of
IT policy in our environment).