[CentOS] Is it okay?

Fri Jan 21 18:22:26 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Friday, January 21, 2011 12:34:57 pm m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Haven't seen the kernel break things, with the exception of *sigh* NVidia
> drivers.... I've also seen it reorder ethernet ports, but finally found
> the simple solution (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx, and add
> the HWADDR)

You use the RPMfusion kmod's, and use the yum plugin to protect them, right?

> Lazy! If I fired up my currently-not-running firewall/router at home, it's
> got RH9.

I'll let the following speak for itself.  Read it carefully. It's from a running machine.
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.36 #3 Fri Apr 9 15:36:11 EDT 1999 i586 unknown
# date
Fri Jan 21 13:15:04 EST 2011
#

What's that about 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' at least with boxes that don't have a direct Internet connection......and this box is doing its job, and doing it well, and with the features that meet the need.  Yes, it's had a hard drive replacement, a motherboard/CPU replacement, among other things.... but even back in those days cloning drives was somewhat common.....

[snip]
>           mark "that was FC14 that broke X yesterday"

Filed a bug report, right? :-)