[CentOS] CentOS and Dell MD3200i / MD3220i iSCSI w/ multipath

Fri Jan 21 23:58:47 UTC 2011
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Jan 21, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Edward Morbius <dredmorbius at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been wrestling with this for ... rather longer than I'd care to admit.
>
> Host / initiator systems are a number of real and virtualized CentOS 5.5 boxes.  Storage arrays / targets are Dell MD3220i storage arrays.
>
> CentOS is not a Dell-supported configuration, and we've had little helpful advice from Dell.  There's been some amount of FUD in that Dell don't seem to know what Dell's own software installation (the md3
>
> Dell doesn't seem to have much OS experience generally.
>
> Their docs are pretty inconsistent.  I've noted omissions, terminology differences, and procedural differences among the "Owner's Manual", "Deployment Guide", a professional services "Remote Services Installation Agreement" service description.  Some of the multipathing guidance we've had comes from their EqualLogic line of storage servers.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1: Is there anyone out there running this configuration and are you satisfied with it?
>
> 2: We get a set of error messages on the initator at target login.  These appear to be benign, and web research suggests it's the result of a driver configuration issue in trying to send instructions to a
>
>          http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.iscsi.open-iscsi/5970
>          http://bit.ly/gguLl7
>
>         MD3000i boxes have 1 controller that can execute IO and one that
>         cannot execute READ/WRITE IO until a special command is sent. In
>         older kernels, layers like the partition scanning and udev and
>         hal would send down IO to those disabled paths and we would see
>         IO errors like in your link.
>
>         In newer kernels we have device handler modules (for MD3000i you
>         would want scsi_dh_rdac (so do "modprobe scsi_dh_rdac" and then
>         lsmod to see if it is there)) that will detect if the path is
>         not active and if so it will either not send the IO or it will
>         not print a error message since we expect the IO to fail.
>
> We'd prefer *not* seeing spurious I/O errors that we don't have to sift through looking for real storage issues.
>
> 3: The MD32xxi series is a dual-controller array with multiple ports on each controller.  Multiple targets can be logged into from an initiator, with the pathways aggregated by the Linux multipath (device-mapper-multipath) system.  There's very little clear documentation on multipath.  In particular, any way to trigger alerting from multipath events / failures, or iscsi session actions, would be helpful.  The MD32xxi series only supports reporting from a GUI management utility (MDSM) which would be at best problematic to run in a server environment.  The other question is: is multipathing typical of iSCSI configuation?  Little of the iSCSI docs I've found discusses multipath configurations at all:
>
> http://www.open-iscsi.org/
> http://www.cuddletech.com/articles/iscsi/index.html (good but very dated)
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/rhel-centos-fedora-linux-iscsi-howto.html (no mention of multipathing)

> [...]

You need the RDAC kernel module installed, this handles asymmetric multipathing to these devices.

You can get this from Dell's site.

Once this is installed you need to setup dm-multipath, look for multipathd.conf in /etc, get the product id and vendor id from dmesg after making an initial connection via open-iscsi and use that in the mutipath config. Your going to need to use path utility 'rdac' in the config instead of tur.

Google is your friend here.

-Ross