[CentOS] ethernet configuration

Sun Jan 23 04:38:58 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Ritika Garg <ritikagarg25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I pressed the tab "probe" by mistake near "bind to MAC address" in
> system->administration->network->edit->hardware device. After this the MAC
> address disappeared. Internet is not working. Shall I write the MAC address
> and activate again?

That will *probably* work. But NetworkManager and its utilities are
*NOT* your friend.

Learn to directly edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files.
You will find features that NetworkManager does not support, at least
in RHEL 5, such as setting the "SEARCH=" option for DHCP
configurations or pair-bonding or setting up network bridges for KVM
use. And you can handle backups much more consistently.