[CentOS] rsync via crontab spawns over 20 processes

Sun Jan 23 04:44:18 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM,  <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Keith Keller wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:05:37PM -0800, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is my crontab entry via /etc/crontab
>>>
>>> * 22 * * * root rsync --delete -avvH --progress source target
>>
>> That will run your rsync at *every minute* of 10pm!  Clearly not what
>> you want.  Try
>
> Actually I probably had 60!  Would make more sense.
>
> - aurf

Nahh, you were crashing first.

If it ever approaches taking a day, or you worry about starting two at
the same time, you might consider using rsnapshot to manage
night/hourly/daily snapshots, and/or to provide locking to avoid
running two at once.