[CentOS] rsync via crontab spawns over 20 processes

Sun Jan 23 09:46:42 UTC 2011
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> May I say "no"? You looked for help when you needed it, you provided
> the relevant information, and you provided more data when asked to
> solve the issue. And you understood the answer.
>
> I've *met* lamerz. You are merely a person who made a mistake. Glad
> you noticed and got it fixed.

Here's my lamerz story from a couple nights ago...

Backing up my xen/kvm machines that I do every month or two...  Copied
a xen guest from one system to another and booted to make sure it was
working... All looked good. Then did my normal rsync between the two.
The connection kept on dropping. On one system, ls was timing out. My
immediate thought was bad hard drive. Took an hour to determine that
I'd rebooted two identical xen guests with the same IP, same MAC, and
they were stepping on each other.

I'm very grateful for this list and for the patience that the
contributors exhibit.