[CentOS] how to control Hard Drive light from Linux?

Sun Jan 23 18:05:51 UTC 2011
Kay Diederichs <kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de>

On 01/23/2011 04:48 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia<nkadel at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Rudi Ahlers<Rudi at softdux.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to control a hard drive light from Linux? I'm
>>> building a 24bay Linux File server which will run software RAID and I
>>> need an easy way for the engineers to see which HDD has gone bad.

we use the following workaround:

- trigger the activity light by running "hdparm -tT /dev/sdX" for the
drive in question
- watch the lights of all the drives - the one that blinks is sdX; this
of course works best if the array is idle

This is of course very low-tech, but it does the job.

HTH,

Kay