[CentOS] unable to check in code to svn when files contain spaces or characters

Mon Jan 24 13:49:34 UTC 2011
Agnello George <agnello.dsouza at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/24/11 5:57 AM, Agnello George wrote:
> > i got a file like this and i need add it into my svn
> >
> > admin/upload_data/FINAL  leg  list  19_01_2010 to  agar  (Merged data in
> one).xls
> >
> > i as able to add other files with space using the following command :
> >
> >   svn st |grep ? |cut -c8- |sed 's/ /\\ /g' |xargs svn add
> >
> > however there are some special characters like ( ) +#@  that svn cannot
> > understand as the full path of  the file .
> >
> > can some one help me in this in perl or in shell .
>
> What you need to know is too long to describe here, but first you need to
> find a
> list of shell metacharacters and how to quote them on the command line.
> Short
> version is that a \ quotes the next character single quotes quote
> everything
> except another single quote literally, double quotes cover most things but
> allow
> $variable expansion.
>
> Then you need to look at what subversion itself requires after you get the
> literal value past the shell parser.  I thought it was just that @ was
> interpreted as file at revision peg revision unless you append another @ to
> the end
> but there could be more restrictions.   All of that is simple enough to
> work
> around - but probably not worth it compared to using sensible names.
>  However
> the thing that is going to kill you is that files that differ only in case
> of
> one or more letters are different files on linux - and in a linux svn
> repository
> - but not on windows (where such things are most likely being created).
>  Enforce
> some rules before that happens.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

I found the solution ( i think )
i did

 svn add  html/Set min account.html
svn: warning: 'html/Set' not found
svn: warning: 'min' not found
svn: warning: 'account.html' not found

then i did
svn add  "html/Set min account.html"
A         html/Set min account.html

so here is my final answer

instead of doing

for i in $(svn st | grep "?" | awk '{print $2}'); do svn add $i;done

i can do

for i in $(svn st | grep "?" | awk '{print $2}'); do svn add *"$i" *;done

This is working for me ... i wonder if i am going to stumble somewhere
...humm!

--
Regards
Agnello D'souza