[CentOS] Why one shouldn't cross post [was: putting "/tmp" to memory]

Mon Jan 24 14:08:01 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Leonard den Ottolander
<leonard at den.ottolander.nl> wrote:
> Hello Rudi,
>
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 15:46 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Instead of wasting time and bandwidth on this flame, why not just tell
>> him what todo?
>
> Because I don't want to encourage such behaviour. Plus this wasn't even
> a reply to the original poster, but seeing how many people cross post
> these days I felt I had to point out this isn't being appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Leonard.
>
> --

Leonard, no offence, but sometimes people need to loosen up a bit.

If the OP, or anyone for that matter cross-post then it's probably
cause they don't always get the correct (or any helpful, or any at

Different people, with different experience / input / ideas / etc are
on different lists.  On one list he'll get something like "try
google", on another list he'll get something like "for this problem,
you need todo the following...........". And then every now and again
someone with a bee up their bonnet about netiquete en HTML emails and
this and that and a lot of useless info totally unrelated to the
problem at hand.

If you feel THAT strong about a cross-posted, who by the looks of it
in your mind should by hung or banished from the internet, then tell
him how you feel OFF-LIST, to his private email.

Someone else might be looking for the exact answer, bow down to your
holiness and not even post anything at all for fear of being beaten
with a stick next time goes outside. Instead he does a google search,
and find the answer, posted on one of the other lists where someone
who's actually a bit friendly and helpful took the time to help the
guy out.

So what if it's a homework assignment. Or if it's someone who's new to
Linux or PC's in general and actually don't know what you've learned
in the past 86years. Is it really that much trouble to help him,
instead of stoning him?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers