[CentOS] Could CentOS 5.5 on newer hardware make it freeze or shutdown?

Mon Jan 24 21:48:03 UTC 2011
cwlists <cwlists at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 00:14, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>I have built a new PC on which I've installed CentOS 5.5 64-bit (with
>>updates) which after some hours of running suddenly either hard freeze
>>or instant power off.
>

> Can you check a setting in the bios - see if there's an option named: PCI
> Latency Timer

No, only some frequency adjustment of the PCI-Express bus.

Update:
After some more days of running Fedora 14 those disk timeouts has
started to appear. After a search on the net about similar NCQ
problems I added this to /etc/rc.local yesterday, and so far I haven't
seen any disk timeouts since then:

for D in sd{b,c,d,e,f,g} ; do
        echo 1 > /sys/block/$D/device/queue_depth
done

Eventually I wish to install CentOS 6 and hopefully I will not have
the same problem as with CentOS 5.5. In the mean time I will make a
try with Scientific Linux 6 alpha or RHEL 6 beta2 and see what
happens.