[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Wed Jan 26 03:55:37 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at g7.u22.net>

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 14:25 -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:20:34 am Always Learning wrote:
> > Then one day a big bad wolf called Oracle of very expensive Oracle SQL
> > fame swallowed Red Hat, like they swallowed MySQL, Solaris, Open Office
> > and Visual Box.  The long term future for these is uncertain.
>
> Whaaa...? Facts would seem otherwise.... Here's an article from just a few
> months ago!
>
> http://www.glgroup.com/News/Oracle-to-Red-Hat--Its-Not-Your-Fathers-Linux-
> Market-Anymore-51058.html

Thank you. Happily I got the 'swallowed Red Hat' wrong. Sadly the long
term future for Red Hat, MySQL, Open Office and Visual Box is certainly
uncertain.

I've seen the changes in the computer world first-hand for 43 years
staring when there were no screens, no keyboards and no disks although
one installation, a KDF9, did have a magnetic drum. Everything changes.
Computer companies and software change, evolve and then eventually
disappear. It's 'computer evolution'.

What is noticeable is the vast number of organisations failing to use
computers properly - not extracting  the maximum benefit from their
computer systems and running incompatible systems which can not exchange
basic data. In the UK in 2011 A.D. local authorities (councils) and the
territorial police forces operate this way. Despite vast computer
budgets, and a supporting bureaucracy which includes computer managers
lacking any of the skills possessed by participants on this mailing
list, important decisions appear to be made by morons usually assisted
by consultants whose shinny shoes and expensive suits are much more
conspicuous than technical acumen.

Gone are the days when an in-house team of programmers and analysts
would design and code customised programmes that fully satisfied the
business needs of the organisations. The intelligence services and
scientific research are exceptions.  In the commercial sphere it is M$
and Oracle applications (especially Oracle Financials) plus proprietary
software from third parties. The number of 'computer experts' that know
only how to press the correct key in a M$ application yet lack any
appreciation of how computer systems work or the logic behind them is
increasing.

Linux, the BSDs and Solaris continue the good tradition of 'real'
computing while expensive Apple demonstrates how good Windoze could be
if M$ really tried.

Will we one day be dependent on open source Chinese Linux if Western
open source Linux dries-up ?

--

With best regards,

Paul.