[CentOS] Basic Permissions Questions

Wed Jan 26 10:45:42 UTC 2011
Rafa Griman <rafagriman at gmail.com>

Hi :)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 January 2011 10:17, Rafa Griman <rafagriman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Directories should have +x permissions. Do a:
>>
>> chmod    0750    /directory
>>
>> And see what happens.
>>

> Hi Rafa, like a fool I sent that email and then worked this out
> shortly after :)

I'm glad you worked it out ;)

> Still, if I hadn't your response was quick so I wouldn't have been
> waiting long. This leads me onto a new question though;
>
> If user1 writes a file in folder1 will user2 be made the default group
> owner, is there a way of enforcing this and with the required
> privileges (r for files, rx for directories?).

Ownership doesn't change just by creating files. Ownership of a file
is set to the user that creates that file, no matter where the file
is. Obviously, root can change file ownership ... so treat him well ;)

In any case, try it out yourself. Create the files and see what happens ;)

> User1 accesses folder1 over smb so I could set up a create mask but
> other folders accessed by users1 not via smb (ssh, rsync etc) I still
> want user2 to have read only access. Can you implement smb style
> create masks at a file system level?

Samba is a different story (but related), you can create masks, set
default permissions, ...

I usually recommend O'Reilley's Samba book because it starts off with
a very simple config and then complicates it little by little.

HTH

   Rafa