[CentOS] SSH Automatic Log-on Failure - Centos 5.5

Thu Jan 27 07:46:38 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:35 AM, Cameron Kerr <cameron at humbledown.org> wrote:

> On 27/01/2011, at 7:45 PM, Always Learning wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> I wanted to avoid typing-in my password every occasion I remotely
>> logged-on to a server.
>>
>> I created my SSH keys and copied the public part to the server and
>> renamed it authorized_keys.

>> server /root/.ssh
>>
>> id_rsa.authorized_keys  -rw--------

> Your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys needs to be readable by sshd, your permissions on it are too restrictive (typically, this should be 0644)

No, 0600 is *fine* In fact that is the recommended permission from the
man page for "ssh". OpenSSH does a bit of UID and EUID manipulation to
gain permissions to examine that file as the user whose login is being
attempted, precisely to deal with NFS mounted home directories which
do not allow "root" direct access to protected files.