[CentOS] Package updates for 5.4?

Thu Jan 27 14:53:30 UTC 2011
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

> This... is theory. In practice, major architectural changes will break
> things and need to be tested. For example, the anaconda environment
> for RHEL 6 does not contain the "dirname" command. The environment for
> RHEL 5 did. I anticipate that CentOS 6 will also lack it. Who would
> know that without testing their kickstart scripts? And don't get me
> started on the NetworkManager related changes in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts: the new "NM_CONTROLLED" option can
> cause enormous confusion.

I was referring to certified applications with regards to
compatibility rather than kickstarting boxes and then you'll want to
test out to see if you need any of the compatibility libaries....

With fresh package lists and so on of course you'll want to test out
kickstarts...

On any server I'd recommend disabling the networkmanager service and
enabling the old network one...

In fact on a server no point even installing the networkmanager packages...

However that is pretty much OT from the original question and point of
this thread which is that from 5.4 to 5.6 (and onwards) there will be
no API/ABI breakages staying with the official channels.

James