[CentOS] Amazon EC2 - building a minimal centOS ebs bootable image

Sat Jan 29 11:24:59 UTC 2011
Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 2:23 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> good luck with the persistence part in a cloud.  the whole idea of
> clouds is to distribute your services and separate them from the
> physical instances.   EC2 is *not* a replacement for a conventional
> static server.

Well, Data/OS Files have to be stored somewhere....EBS evolved to
serve that need...initially Amazon did not support booting off EBS but
now I think they do.

This creates an infrastructure for storing servers as well as EBS data
volumes. Servers can be updated with patches, hardened. Copy images
can be instantiated updated/upgraded and tested...etc.

Why do you say it is not a replacement for a conventional static
server...to me it seems it is better...though one will need to handle
lags/latencies in data access/persistence as storage is network
attached & not direct attached.

Maybe I will gain an insight here...can you please elaborate.

With best regards.
Sanjay.