[CentOS] Power-outage

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jul 1 12:18:41 UTC 2011

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > I have a CentOS-5.6 remote server in a house in Italy,
> > where there are occasional thunder-storms.
> >
> > There was one yesterday, when the electricity
> > went off 3 times, for a second or so on each occasion.
>
> <snip>
>
> Just buy a really basic UPS.  I don't know what the prices are like where you
> are, but a crappy 500VA UPS can be had for about 25 uk pounds.
>
> I've only ever monitored APC UPSs which can be monitored easily from linux, so
> check for linux compatibility before buying something obscure.

With a non-Linux compatable UPS, you can use a old analog serial modem
as a power sensor. If the machine has a serial port (RS-232), you can
plug the modem into the wall outlet and connect it to the computer's
serial port.  When the power goes out, the modem goes off and powerd can
sense the loss of Modem Ready and treat that as a 'power failure'
signal.  This trick works for cheap, obscure or basic *dumb* UPSs.