[CentOS] Power-outage

Jason Pyeron jpyeron at pdinc.us
Sat Jul 2 18:19:03 UTC 2011

But the OP wanted cheap. Nor would it be easy.

> above "different voltages" argument seems false from my POV.
> If a laptop can be battery- powered, so can a desktop (given
> that you have all the hardware to implement it). You don't

There is lies the rub, it is easier and cheaper to buy one, but it is even
cheaper and easier to buy an UPS. The UPS comes with insurance too.

> need to tweak the motherboard, just the PSU. It's routinely
> done in laptops, so it doesn't seem to be rocket-science or
> something too expensive. I wonder why aren't there any
> desktops on the market with same technology?

Because, it is more expensive in a world where 110 or 220 AC is standard. Our
server room has DC supply for critical infrastructure, but that costs more to
maintain and install. The battery room requires fire and enviromental equipment
and configuration, the personnel who enter the room require certification and
training on how to handle acid, hydrogen, fires, spills, etc. The electrical
infrastructure required extra time and money to install because the local code
did not have rules for high amprage extra low voltace (50V<low voltage<1kV) DC
circuits. There are extra conduits installed, most licensed electrictions are
not prepared to handle DC, so those who do cost more.........

I think you get the point.

They are also low wattage, http://www.indocomp.com/ind-ups200-atx-spec.html,
http://www.eurasiapower.com/power_supply_eu_eUPS-350.asp,
http://www.apollo.com.tw/products_data.html

> laptop battery will kick in and sustain the machine. I just
> think that the same thing can be implemented for the desktop
> too. If I understood the OP correctly... ;-)

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -