[CentOS] shared cups printers disappeared

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 2 18:50:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 20:42:47 +0200
Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> Since there were updates of various important packages, I thought
> rebooting after updates might be a good thing, just in case.

I rebooted after the glibc update the other day.  I even tried rebooting when I
first noticed that the remote printers had disappeared just-in-case, but
nothing changed.

> Is there "browsable" boolean like in Samba? I never had to set up
> printers in Linux network.

Up to this point remote printers just show up by magic on the list of available
printers as long as they are marked as "shared" on the host machine.  Now they
don't show up on the list of available printers on the remote machine, even
though they are available and shared on the host machine.

But installing the remote printer as an IPP printer on the client machine
through system-config-printer and specifying the hostname and printer name on
the host works, and the printer can be used.

Somewhere along the line either whatever it is on the server machine that
announces an available printer on the network or whatever it is on the
client machine that finds that printer and adds it to the list of available
printers has stopped working, on two computers which are each a cups host and a
client of the other.