[CentOS] Power-outage

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jul 2 20:13:57 UTC 2011

> On Saturday 02 July 2011 15:45:11 Robert Heller wrote:
> wrote:

> > > I'm sure you are right, as I know nothing at all about power supplies.
> > > But surely computers actually use DC,
> > > so couldn't my torch-battery device just supply the PC components
> > > directly?
> >
> > A PC uses several *different* DC voltages: +12, +5, +3.3, and several
> > others and they need to be *precise*.  Some of these are not an exact
> > multiples of the standard 1.5V Carbon-Zinc cells typicaly used in torch
> > batteries.
>
> I wonder, how is this issue solved in laptops? They use only one DC battery,
> typically with a single voltage output, AFAIK.

*Mobile* processors don't use as many voltages.  You will note that
laptop disks use a single 5V for power, as opposed to the 5V (logic) and
12V (motor) power a desktop or server disk drive uses.

Laptops also use DC-DC power converters to get the addition *few*
volatages needed (eg 12 => 5V and 3.3V).

(I'm guessing that Google's massive array of battery powered servers use
things like Atom processors or some other mobile or embeded processing
elements on their custom motherboards, which might be a customized
variant of a laptop or embedded processing motherboard.)