[CentOS] What are the advantages of upgrading from 5.6 to 6?

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed Jul 6 20:44:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 03:26:39PM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I've just installed CentOS 5.6. What would I get if I upgraded to 6?

Ponies.

> Would I have to reinstall all applications or could I just restore my
> /etc and /usr directories and do an update?

There is no official upgrade path from 5.x to 6.0.  You will need to
do a full reinstall.

That being said there will likely be unsupported methods published to
do such an upgrade; but it won't be supported and it may be prone to
issues that are hard to troubleshoot.

There is full documentation, including feature comparisons and such,
available at the upstream vendor's site:

http://docs.redhat.com

							John
--
When there are too many policemen, there can be no liberty.  When there are
too many soldiers, there can be no peace.  When there are too many lawyers,

-- Lin Yutang (10 October 1895 - 26 March 1976), Chinese writer and translator,
as quoted in Alexander, James (2005). The World's Funniest Laws. Cheam: Crombie
Jardine. pp. page 6