[CentOS] CentOS on the HP MicroServer

Andy Holt centos-list at orgdotuk.org.uk
Thu Jul 7 07:24:02 UTC 2011

I'm running C 5 x86_64 (currently 5.5) on mine.  Given it the full 8GB of ECC RAM.  I've put the drive it came with (the 160GB) into the optical drive bay, so it now shows as hdb.  I've got 4 x 1.5TB in the main slots, showing as sda-sdd.  They are hot swap under C 5, with the kernel happily doing whatever it does when a drive is plugged/unplugged.  I've got them as a 3 disk ZFS RAID-Z array, with the fourth as a spare, under zfs-fuse.  The write perf isn't great, but most access is over Samba and my wireless / distinctly under par gigabit network, so it serves me well.  And we love snapshots and all those other lovely ZFS features, so that outweighs anything else.  Also running Squeezebox server and an old version of VMware Server, with a couple of VMs (not under ZFS - that would be too slow).

Looking forward to C 6!  Glad to hear that SL 6 works OK.

Andy