[CentOS] how to enable Flow Control on CentOS?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Jul 7 13:54:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
<Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM, R - elists<lists07 at abbacomm.net>  wrote:
>>> rudi
>>>
>>> when migrating some rackmount HP servers running Centos4 from hard coded 100
>>> meg fdx to auto gigE that we had to
>>>
>>> 1) remove this from our ifcfg-ethX files
>>>
>>> ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"
>>
>> I don't see those options listed:
>>
>> root at zaxen01:[~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> you're not looking in the right place, look in TFM:
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

Interesting. It *almost* looks like a plain text (i.e. instructions /
manual) file to me and there's 2 lines with the option you specified:

 ETHTOOL_OPTS=...
      Any device-specific options supported by ethtool. For example,
      if you wanted to force 100Mb full duplex:
        ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"

The NIC is connected @ 1GB, as per the switch interface, but I can't
seem to verify it on CentOS directly, and I would prefer not to change
this file since it shows as 100MB (if that 2nd line with ETHTOOL_OPTS
is an actual configuration option, and not just comment) but there's
no mention of Flow Control in that file. I don't know what impact this
could have, if any at all.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers