[CentOS] Bug in CentOS Autotools

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Fri Jul 8 10:34:31 UTC 2011

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 7/8/11, John J. Boyer <john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
>> I've installed autoconf and automake from the CentOS repository. When I
>> get liblouisutdml from its repository and run the autogen.sh script and
>> then configure I get the error I explained in my previous message.
>
> You're assuming that everybody saw the message. I would like to help
> but a quick check of my mailing list inbox only shows you asking
> questions about hostname and changing swap memory size.
>
>> Autoconf is generating a bad configure script. I've had the same problem
>> on other CentOS installations, and nobody could figure out what it was.
>> The nearest I can come is that some development file is missing from
>> CentOS. This is not a problem for me to look at but for the CentOS
>> experts. I just want to get my project to build, as it did on rhel. If I
>> need to install something else from the CentOS repository, please tell
>> me what.
>
> Even if you want the experts to look at it, at the very least you have
> to investigate and narrow down the minimum steps necessary to
> replicate the problem. Usually this means providing the exact commands
> you are using so that they can try to replicate it simply by changing
> only the necessary parameters like path names.
>
> Nobody is going to waste time trying to figure out what you were
> trying to do, how you were going about it, in order to trigger the
> error. Otherwise, you may just get replies that "it works fine for me"
> and none the wiser what might had gone wrong.
>
> Last but not least, try to follow the rules in the place you're asking
> for help. Quote then reply, please do not top post, i.e. post your
> reading and therefore less likely to want to help.

Here is his "error":
John J. Boyer wrote:
 > I am using CentOS 5.6, autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.9.6. I run an
 > autogen script which cleans all autotools files and then installs new
 > ones. If the appliction has no dependencies running configure, make and
 > make install works fine. However if it has dependencies I get the
 > messages "Creating Makefile" and "Could not find input file Makefile".
 > I've herd that I need another development package. What is it? Or what
 > causes these contradictory messages?
 > I must say that I have encountered this sort of problem only on CentOS.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > John

John, good start would be to give us the link to that autogen script for
removal and installation of autotools. Maybe there is an error. Another
possibility is that that script worked on the *older* version of
RHEL/CentOS or other packages, but it does not work no more. When is the
last time you chect if it works on RHEL? and on what version of RHEL?
Once upon the time I was able to fit into childrens footwear. Now? not
in a million years.

Without detailed and thought-out information no one can help you.

Ljubomir