[CentOS] More on CentOS autotools bug

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:55:32 UTC 2011

On 7/9/11, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 07/08/11 10:20 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>> ...does[n't] stop him from doing development, it shouldn't
>> stop him from doing something like copy and paste.
>
> A couple weeks ago, on a technical support IRC forum (I forget if it was
> #solaris or #postgres or what), some guy came on and wanted us to look
> at an error.... which he posted as a YOUTUBE VIDEO.     it was a simple
> 2-3 line text error message.    apparently it was easier for him to use
> his fondleslab[1] to video capture the error off his screen than to
> paste or type the text.       talk about bandwidth bloat.

On a similar note, I regularly request users to copy the error message
they get in order to troubleshoot. There's this group of customers
who, despite repeated instructions, will do a screenshot and email a
.BMP to me. I'm undecided if that's better or worse than their
previous method of printing out said screenshot, then scanning it via
their copier's scan to email function before emailing the now crap
quality monochrome final product to me as a PDF.

But neither beats that youtube for bloat :D