[CentOS] Triggering script from cron or web client

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Jul 8 21:58:09 UTC 2011

I have a Bash script, currently run a couple times an hour from cron, that
pulls data from an old Windows DB by rsync, converts it to SQL, and injects
it into a MySQL DB for display in a LAMP-based app. (Make and Perl are also
involved to minimize the number of tables touched and to clean up the SQL
generated by Pxlib.)

I'd like to add the ability to refresh the data immediately from the web
app, but I don't want it to trample on the periodic script and corrupt the
data.

I figure the ideal way to do this is to run the script in a loop in its own
process, waiting on a semaphore that times out at the refresh period, and
poke the semaphore from the web app to have it run before the next periodic
cycle.

Are there existing frameworks to wrap this kind of thing in? Something that
handles starting the loop at server startup, shutting it down at server
halt, and handles the IPC between the web server and the service script.