[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sat Jul 9 18:32:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Giles Coochey wrote:

> From: Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide
>
> On 09/07/2011 20:13, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>  I already have several friends lined up for installation. But you
>>  should also be prepared to help them with install and primary setup,
>>  like adding third party repositories for audio/video codecs and
>>  similar. Ljubomir
>
> And the next ten years or free technical support :)
>
> I do like Linux over other operating systems, but I wouldn't wish it on
> any of my non-techie friends...
>
> CentOS is what I primarily work on for Server Labs, not usually desktop
> environments anyway.

Well I'm *trying* to install M$ Vista on an Advent laptop.

IMHO Compared to Centos 5.6, Vista is a royal pain. XP
wasn't so bad. This is Vista Home Premium. The updates and
security patches are a nightmare, compared to Centos's
single yum update command.

For Vista doing updates means putting patches on patches on
patches. Why on earth can't the updates all be done at once,
instead of update-reboot-reconfigure - then Windoze Update
discovers more security patches, and the cycle begins again.
How lame is that?

I'm *very* tempted to start again with a fresh install, and
forget the updates - they don't do much anyway!

Is there such a thing as a secure Windoze computer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13973805

'More than four million PCs have been enrolled in a botnet
security experts say is almost "indestructible". The botnet,
known as TDL, targets Windows PCs and is difficult to detect
and shut down. Code that hijacks a PC hides in places
security software rarely looks and the botnet is controlled
using custom-made encryption.'

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: