[CentOS] Wierd cursor jump when I type letter "y"

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 02:32:46 UTC 2011

On Saturday 09 July 2011 23:30:43 Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Steve Thompson wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> >> In large number of times when I type letter "y", like in "you" my typing
> >> cursor jumps 2-3 rows up or 1-2 words to the left.
> >
> > The only times I have ever seen anything like this was due to a bad
> > keyboard or a bad KVM switch. Does it behave the same way in a non-X
> > session or at BIOS level?
>
> Can't say. It is my personal lap-top. But I think I have seen the same
> behavior on my CentOS 5.6 desktop, but right now I can not be sure.

Maybe you scratch the laptop's touchpad with your palm when you reach for the
"y"? I've seen a lot of people complaining about bad
design/positioning/sensitivity of touchpads on their laptops. Some go even as
far as completely disabling the touchpad because it interferes with their
typing.

Hook up an external keyboard to the laptop. If you can reproduce the problem
with that, then think about software or hardware failure. If not, I'd suggest
shutting down the touchpad, or learn to reposition your hands while typing.
;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko