[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Sun Jul 10 09:32:59 UTC 2011

On 10/07/2011 11:22, Ron Blizzard wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Giles Coochey<giles at coochey.net>  wrote:
>
>> Well, do both then, but at double the cost!! The whole point to CEOs
>> and CFOs about going with the Cloud is that they will save money on
>> IT infrastructure and possibly get rid of 'that scruffy guy in the
>> basement 'who's done our IT for the last few years'... they never
>> really trusted him anyway, and 'Joe and Bill' from 'ABC Cloud
>> Consulting' seemed like 'my kind of people on the Golf course last
>> Thursday afternoon.'
> I get your point about CEOs and CFOs (greed blunts good sense in many
> instances), but don't most corporations already have local and network
> backups? So they are already redundant. If they go to the Cloud I
> would assume they would continue local backups.

(offsite) Backups are usually sold as part of the Cloud service. The very fact that the data is not locally stored anymore makes local backups not very feasible anyway.
Many corporations are considering moving their entire infrastructure to cloud or 'cloud-like' services.

Just look at http://www.microsoft.com/office365

It is not being sold as an add-on to enterprise infrastructure, it's being sold as a replacement.

The reference to 'porn' was meant to be a light hearted reference to 'your personal stuff', as opposed to 'your work stuff'.