[CentOS] Installing OS on Flash Drive on Server

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Jul 11 14:14:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Muhammad Panji wrote:

> From: Muhammad Panji <sumodirjo at gmail.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] Installing OS on Flash Drive on Server
>
> Hi All,
> On my gateway server I'm Installing CentOS on a flashdrive. is that a bad
> idea? the server keep hang, I can ping the server from the LAN and from the
> internet, the internet connection from LAN to internet is OK but another
> service is down, ssh, VPN (PPTPD) and another service. Even the console is
> unresponsive so I have to reset the server. Last time when I still can do
> SSH to server the / drive is mounted read only, when I try to remount rw it
> said error write protected but the flash drive itself have no write
> protection. I'm wondering is using Flashdrive on server OS is a bad idea?
> anyone have similar experience? thank you.
> regards,

Hi Muhammad. You might like to check the mailing-list
archives for June, as there was quite a long discusiion on
using Flash USB drives an SSD's for Centos installations.

I think the general conclusions were that Flass drives are
not really designed for this, and will wear out quickly, and
the SDD's can fail without any warning whatsoever - and
bang does your OS and/or your data.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: