[CentOS] Suggest Hardware Raid Controller Card

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jul 11 15:26:03 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Colin Coles <colin at wemoto.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 11 July 2011 15:49, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have HP DL 180 G6 2U Server loaded with CentOS 5.6. Can someone
> >> please suggest any good Hardware Raid Controller Card for the
> >> mentioned Hardware and OS. The reason being this server comes with
> >> Onboard Sata Controller chipset (HP Smart Array B110i Controller).
> >> This server has SATA Harddrive - 4 Nos of 500GB each and the OS
> >> doesnot detect it.
> >>

> > Have you set up the array using the disk setup utility?
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes I have setup RAID 1+0 Array using HP Smart Controller B110i BIOS.
> It shows usable disk space of approx 940 GB but the OS does not see it
> instead it shows all the 4 * 500 GB HDD.

The HP Smart Array B110i Controller is not a real RAID controller it is
A BIOS/Special driver based 'software RAID' (aka 'fakeraid').  You need
a special driver (not included with RHEL/CentOS.  You are actually
better off disabling the RAID function of the HP Smart Array B110i
Controller and configure it as a plain AHCI SATA controller and using
the Linux software RAID (md raid) instead.

A true hardware RAID controller would probably cost almost as much as
the server itself.  Just about all of the cheap (so called) SATA RAID
controller cards are some flavor of fakeraid.  A few are supported as DM
Raid under Linux, but many are not.