[CentOS] Restore the moved directory

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Jul 11 18:41:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> From: Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Restore the moved directory
>
> Robert Heller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> By mistake, I moved the directory /etc to the /home. How  can i restore the
>>> sytem back (or, at least that directory back)?
>>
>> Boot with a rescue disk, mount your (broken) system under /sysimage and
>> then do:
>>
>> mv /sysimage/home/etc /sysimage/
> +1

Or even boot Parted Magic from the UBCD disk here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

New features in UBCD V5.0 include:

* New! The Linux-based distro Parted Magic is now
included with UBCD V5.0. This should be the method of choice
when you need to resize/rescue partitions, access NTFS
filesystems or work with USB storage devices.

* New! UBCD V5.0 now supports both syslinux/isolinux and
grub4dos. This helps improve the chances that UBCD will boot
on any particular machine.

When you boot up from the CD, a text-based menu will be
displayed, and you will be able to select the tool you want
to run. The selected tool actually boots off a virtual
floppy disk created in memory.

That will give you a full Linux desktop rescue system
with nice GUI for mounting partitions, and also Midnight
Commander for doing the stuff you want to.

Well worth the effort to download and burn to CD. It has
100+ utilities for sysadmin and system setup/repair jobs.

HTH

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: