[CentOS] Hard disk installation

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jul 11 20:59:54 UTC 2011

Has anyone installed CentOS-6 from the hard disk?
I just tried this without success.

I should say that I asked the question before about CentOS-5.6,
and while I got many suggestions in reply,
no-one actually said that they _had_ installed CentOS this way.

What I did was to "mount -o loop" the DVD iso (which I checksum-ed)
and copy isolinux/vmlinuz and isolinux/initrd.img ,
as well as the images/ directory, to /boot ,
and then added a simple stanza
------------------------
title CentOS-6
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz text askmethod
        initrd /initrd.img
------------------------

The machine - I should have said that
it is an HP MicroServer -
boots fine, until it gets to
"Waiting for hardware to initialize",
at which point the screen goes blank
and nothing appears to happen.

I should say that the machine is running under CentOS-5.6,
which I installed with a USB stick.
I'm trying to install CentOS-6 on another partition.
I shall try the USB stick method shortly.

But I would be interested to know if anyone has actually installed
CentOS-6 from the hard disk, and if so how.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net