[CentOS] Installing from CD

david david at daku.org
Mon Jul 11 23:11:00 UTC 2011

Dear Gurus
Thanks for the responses.  I'll summarize what I've learned trying to
install Centos6 on a Dell Optiplex GX 240

Review:
  a) I decried the lack of CD images for Centos6.
  b) I was informed that it's unlikely they'll be produced due to an
upstream decision.
  c) I pointed out that the machine only had floppy, CD and HD boots
capability.
  d) I got a suggestion to use the network method.

Results:
  1)  PXE boot might work, but it seems that it's a lot of trouble
setting up a PXE server.  I'm still working on it.
  2)  The NET-INSTALL indeed did work, with the following gotchas:
    2a) The URL to enter is not obvious.
    2b) I tried the one at Stanford, and at uidaho, but they failed.
    2c) Finally,
     http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/os/i386    worked.
  3) SInce I had only a text install, various interesting and
important programs were missing:
    ssh (which apparently is masquerading under the name
"openssh-clients"), ftp and perl, which YUM got for me.

  4)  The module   perl-Digest-MD5  was not in the repository.  Was
its removal intentional, or is it hiding in some other Centos6 repository?

  5)  The line-by-line notation during bootstrap is no longer
shown.  This makes it difficult to detect where hangups occur during
the bootstrap process.  Is there a way to display those notations in real time?

Conclusion:
   I'm still trying

David