[CentOS] Installing from CD

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Jul 12 00:28:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Keith Roberts wrote:

**snip**

>> Conclusion:
>>   I'm still trying
>
> Hi David. I seem to remember doing an http:// install using
> the net installer CD. I did it via my LAN from my main
> machine to an old laptop that could not read the DVD media.
>
> Is that an option on the Centos net installer CD, and will
> that work for you?
>
> I think you just need to copy the OS installation files in a
> directory under your Apache Document_root, and the installer
> just grabs the files via http.
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#id886240
> 4.6. Preparing for a Network Installation

This was a few years ago, but IIRC, I just created a
temporary directory under my Apache DocumentRoot, and then
mounted the DVD iso image in my downloads directory, with
something like this:

[root]# mount -v CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso /srv/www/centos-5.5 -o loop

Then from the machine I was going to do the http network
install on, I used a web browser to check that I could get a
directory listing of the DVD's contents, mounted under
/srv/www/centos-5.5

Give Anaconda the IP address of the machine you want to
install from, and the directory and then it does the rest I
think.

HTH

Keith

Websites: