[CentOS] Problem with net-install

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jul 12 13:31:50 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 08:54:56 AM Drew wrote:
> > CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
> > distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.
>
> I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
> CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
> P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
> CentOS 5.

EL6 of any flavor needs more horsepower than EL5 of any flavor.  Read the installation minimum requirements, both from the centos.org site and the redhat.com site.  PAE is required, for instance. 392MB of RAM is the minimum to install, for another.

EL5 will be supported for a while yet, and it may be the best choice for your needs.

I have a few older boxes, too (some *much* older than a PPro, even) and it's just going to be a simple fact that EL6 is just not going to run there.

There are lighter linuxes out there that are still up to date; Alpine, for instance, as well as TinyCore.  I quote those because they both seem to be recently updated and both seem to have reasonably modern packages available; and neither require a lot of horsepower for the base system.

Some Linux variants still work fine with older stuff; upstream has decided that EL6 is not one of them.