[CentOS] centos 64 bit

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jul 13 08:11:01 UTC 2011

On 07/13/11 12:57 AM, Edo wrote:
> I haven’t used any 32-bit systems for many years now. I don’t have any
> need for them so I don’t install them. So, unless it’s absolutely needed,
> I suggest deleting them all.

for many things, 32bit code is more compact and runs faster than 64bit
code (primarily because the code is smaller, so it requires fewer
fetches, more code fits in the cache, etc).    64 bit OS's totally
compatible with 32bit applications.  of course, if a process needs more
than a couple gigabytes of address space, then 64bit is a no-brainer,
but there's really not that many applications which need that sort of
memory.