[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Mark Weaver mweaver at compinfosystems.com
Wed Jul 13 11:48:20 UTC 2011

On 7/12/2011 12:41 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Keith Roberts<keith at karsites.net>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Lamar Owen wrote:

>>> From: Lamar Owen<lowen at pari.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

>>> No, it's a central part of the design of the old System V Init.  C6, SL6,  and upstream EL6 use upstart instead of SysVInit.
>>>
>>> EL7, if the direction of Fedora is any indication, won't have classic runlevels, but will use systemd.
>>>
>>> The Linux kernel knows nothing of runlevels; runlevels are userspace and have been since SysVInit was first used (and even before).  All the kernel cares about is that it hands execution off to a userspace process that then takes care of further boot.  That process can be /bin/sh or anything else, the kernel doesn't care.
>>
>> OK, thanks for pointing that out Lamar. So I take it we can
>> still choose which services we want running at boot time on
>> C6?
>>
>> Keith

> Yes, look here: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

Perhaps this is sheer ignorance on my part, but from reading the
information at the other end of the link you provided doesn't upstart
make the system more vulnerable to attack seeing how everything in
upstart is event driven?

--
Mark Weaver
Computer Information Systems & Services, Inc.
mweaver at compinfosystems.com
(717) 512-9718