[CentOS] OT: USB3 drive occasionally not detected

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jul 13 14:20:22 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 09:38:28 AM Timothy Kesten wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011 14:34 schrieb Lamar Owen:
> >  What does:   dmesg|grep xhci   tell you?
>
> Nothing

Yeah, no xhci kernel module....

> > USB3 is supposed to be fully supported in EL6,
> So I have to wait until CentOS 6 is tested (testing machine has no USB3) and
> then is installed on production  server.

> Not such a big problem cause USB2 works  with that drives - but slow ;-(

Once you've tasted the speed of USB3 you really don't want to go back..... It's as fast as native eSATA on most of my USB3-capable externals.  Over twice as fast as USB2 on them.

An alternative would be to use the ELrepo 'mainline' kernel, assuming it has the xhci and/or xhci_hcd modules; but you'd be on your own configuring udev and friends to use it.  If that were to work, I sure would be interested.