[CentOS] Installing from CD

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:29:36 UTC 2011

On 7/13/2011 12:15 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:

>> I haven't tried it with a cd/dvd drive, but you can get inexpensive USB
>> cables with combo adapters for IDE (both full and laptop size) and sata
>> with corresponding power connectors that are very handy to have around
>> for temporary hookups.
>
> That sounds the easiest path to go to. But if you are using
> USB to start with, why not try installing Centos from the
> USB drive directly to the fixed HDD in the machine? Or am I
> missing something?

Yes, I meant that it should work to hook any DVD drive in your junk box
(or that you can temporarily pull from something else) to anything with
USB 2.0 (life is too short for 1.x) - just that I hadn't tried it and
the cable is also handy for other things.

But, nfs is fast and easy if you already have some other linux system
installed on the network.  I like to keep a directory exported via both
nfs and samba (read only for most of the network) so there is no special
setup need for that sort of install other than copying out the 'images'
directory from the dvd image as described in the docs.  With the old CD
sets you didn't even have to do that.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com