[CentOS] use of MAILTO variable in crontab

Brunner, Brian T. BBrunner at gai-tronics.com
Wed Jul 13 19:30:30 UTC 2011

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
> On Wed Jul 13 15:03:40 EDT 2011, Michael Best mbest at pendragon.org
>  wrote:
>> Like this:
>>
>> MAILTO=testaddr at harte-lyne.ca
>> 30 2 * * * echo "this should be mailed"
>
> That sets MAILTO for the entire crontab does it not?  I want to set
> MAILTO differently for specific crontab entries.  Is that possible?
> How is it done?  Or do I have to pipe stuff to /usr/bin/mail
> explicitly?

Note: The script that you trigger (a wrapper for the command you really
want to run) can have the per-command peculiarities in it.
Also: the command in the crontab file can look like 'cmd | mail -s
"Subject of mail" user'
Also: a file (e.g. 'mumble') in the /etc/cron.d directory is effectively
an extension of the /etc/crontab file, and MAILTO can be set there (IIRC
it will only effect entries in that /etc/cron.d/mumble file).

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me