[CentOS] CentOS6: installing 32bit and 64bit RPMS via the installer?

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Fri Jul 15 10:36:02 UTC 2011

James Pearson wrote:

>>Installing 64bit CentOS6 only installs x86_64 and noarch RPMS - however,
>>I have a number of legacy 32bit apps that require a number of 32bit RPMS
>>to be installed.
>>
>>Does anyone know how to get the installer to install the 32bit versions
>>of 64bit RPMS? i.e. in the way it does for CentOS5.
>

> After and bit of digging, it appears to be down to a change of a default
> setting in yum with CentOS6
>
> The yum config option multilib_policy is now 'best' in CentOS6 - in
> CentOS5 it is 'all' - which means CentOS6 will only install the x86_64
> version if both a x86_64 and i686 RPM exists in the repo
>
> I guess if I want to revert this back to 'all', I'll need to hack
> anaconda to add 'multilib_policy=all' to the temporary yum config file.

In case anyone needs to do this - here is what I've done:

As I install over NFS from a local copy of the distro, I created a
directory called 'RHupdates' at the top level of the install tree and
copied in the file 'yuminstall.py' from the anaconda RPM to that directory.

I edited the RHupdates/yuminstall.py file and added after line 1186:

multilib_policy=all

i.e. that line gets added to the /tmp/anaconda-yum.conf file anaconda
uses to do the install via yum (files in the RHupdates directory will
override files of the same name used by anaconda).

I guess I could have done something similar via a kickstart file (which
I haven't tested) - e.g.

%pre
echo "multilib_policy=all" >> /tmp/anaconda-yum.conf

After the install, I added the same "multilib_policy=all" line to
/etc/yum.conf - so a subsequent 'yum update' will update the 32bit
packages as well.

James Pearson