[CentOS] CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD doesn't boot [SOLVED]

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 05:11:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
<m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca> wrote:

> I have all of the SATA channels set to AHCI mode, which includes the
> Pioneer burner.  I was thinking that maybe I should try changing the
> BIOS setting to IDE, but then tossed it aside as crazy talk.
>
> After your email, I decided to change the DVDRW drive's SATA channel to
> IDE mode.  Bingo! The CentOS 6 DVD booted.  I have CentOS 6 running and
> fully updated now.
>
> I haven't looked into why the SATA Pioneer DVDRW needed AHCI disabled in
> order to boot off the CentOS 6 DVD. Since the Fedora 15 DVD booted
> without issue, I can only surmise isolinux in CentOS 6 and in Fedora 15
> behave differently.

Hmm.  I am facing an unrelated problem [1] but the root cause could be
similar to your problem.   I'll try changing SATA from "enhanced" to
"legacy" mode.

[1] Linux Mint Debian Edition installs successfully, BIOS is able to
see the hard drive but complaints there is no boot disk!

--
Arun Khan