[CentOS] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! after installation of Driver Diskette for enabling Onboard RAID Controller Chipset

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Jul 18 16:07:53 UTC 2011

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
> <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>>> Configure the BIOS for AHCI native SATA, and use linux native raid.  See
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5?highlight=%28RAID%29
>>>
>> Hi Again,
>>
>> I did some changes, i just created two partitions / and swap using the
>> Anaconda Installer, it worked fine after loading boot loader GRUB and
>> then after it stopped at Kernel Panic.
>>
>> device—mapper: dm—raid15: initialized v0.25941
>> Waiting for driver initialization
>> Scanning and configuring dnraid supported devices
>> Trying to resume from (LABEL=SWAP-sda2)
>> Unable to access resume device (L‘*wmVgW_¢;"1iZ)
>> Creating root device.
>> Hounting root filesystem.
>> EXT3—fs error (device sdc1) : ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 296
>> not in group (block 231211688)!
>> EXT3~fs1 group descriptors corrupted!
>> mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument
>> Setting up other filesystems.
>> Setting up new root fs
>> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
>> no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
>> setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
>> setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
>> Suitching to new root and running init.
>> unmounting old /dev
>> unmounting old /proc
>> unmounting old /sys
>> suitchrootr mount failed: No such file or directory
>> Kernel panic — not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>>
>> Please suggest further. is there a way to create customized initrd for
>> this default kernel available on CentOS 5.6
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>>
>> Kaushal
>>

> Hi Again,
>
> I have read this on the forums and it explained as below.
>
> Probably need to get that module into your initrd. The computer, upon
> booting, loads a kernel image and an initial ramdisk. the latter is a
> compressed filesystem image that the bootloader just maps into memory,
> and it holds a number of kernel modules and helper programs for the
> kernel you are booting. if it does not contain the kernel module
> that's driving your RAID controller, the kernel won't ever be able to
> recognize your disk array, because it
> lacks the proper driver for it that's why the initrd's helper programs
> are panicking - they are trying to mount a crucial filesystem from a
> device which just isn't there it cannot continue, and bails with a
> big, fat error
>
> Somehow need to include the driver you loaded from the USB thumb drive
> during installation during booting your system (most probably from
> within
> the initrd) . probably need to get that module into the initrd.
>
> Please guide/suggest further.

You were suggested to use SOFTWARE LINUX RAID = mdraid, not to attempt
to install driver for your RAID.

1. Have you set your RAID controller to AHCI mode?

2. Have you created Software RAID partitions and then created EXT4
partitions on top of the Software RAID (mdraid)?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...