[CentOS] [OT] Apache oddity - appending garbage request does not result in a 404

Ray Leventhal

centos at swhi.net
Tue Jul 19 20:28:50 UTC 2011

HI,

I know this is OT and I apologize in advance, but with the wealth of
knowledge on this list I hope that some kind soul will help (off list is
fine).

I run CentOS 5.6 with the usual LAMP stack.  One of the virtual sites on
this server failed a PCI Compliance (credit card security stuff)
because, of all things, a URL with a non-existent request after the .php
doesn't return a 404 and I can't figure out why.

Example: http://www.domain.com/pagedoesnotexist returns the expected 404

But browse to a page that does exist, like goodpage.php, then append
either a slash and some random string, or a ?=somerandomstring and the
goodpage.php is still displayed.

I'll gladly provide more info, if needed.  Any pointers on where to look
would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies for the noise.

-Ray