[CentOS] managing a rack full of centos servers

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jul 19 23:43:05 UTC 2011

to date, I've done all my administration on a manual 1 at a time basis,
as each system has been pretty much unique.

its looking like I might need to setup a deployment of a dozen or 2
basically identical machines, all running pretty much the same sorts of
stuff.  I have zero experience with the sorts of management tools folks
use to automate this type of configuration, both initial setup, and
ongoing management (system updates, user application updates,
configuration changes, etc).

anyone care to suggest any such tools, maybe some real-world pros and
cons?   of course, being centos, I prefer FOSS tools.   for various
reasons, this environment likely will NOT be virtualized (although I may
emulate a test setup with vmware).