[CentOS] Recommended mailing list manager for CentOS 5.6

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jul 20 00:45:12 UTC 2011

On 07/19/11 5:07 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Does CentOS 5.6 have a mailing list manager like ecartis or majordomo? I
> want to set up mailing lists for my server in the cloud for three
> domains that I own. What mailing list managers do yourecommend, and
> where can they be found? I don't ming compiling source code.

Mailman is kind of the defacto standard list manager these days, indeed,
this centos list is managed by it.

the project site is  http://www.list.org/ with the documentation and such.

its in the EL5 and I assume EL6 standard repositories, so...

     yum install mailman

suffices to install it and set it up.  it uses a service called,
naturally, mailman

     chkconfig mailman on
     service mailman start

except I think the installation does this automatically.

oddly, In the rhel/centos install, all the management tools are in
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/ which isn't in the normal path, but you only need
these to create new lists and such, pretty much everything else is done
through a simple web interface..

the web interface for users and list moderators will default to
http://yourhost.domain.com/mailman/listinfo  if you don't dink around
with vhost records.